Re: API: how much to expose

From: Just van Rossum
Subject: Re: API: how much to expose
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 16:16:41 +0100

At 9:34 AM -0500 15-03-2000, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
>I don't really care about one notation or the other. Since I'm (still)
>planning
>to write the C++ API for it, it'll all be wrapped to something like
>
>face->setSize(...);
>face->loadGlyph(...);

Ah, you're taking even more freedom with the names than I planned for the
Python API... I was thinking to just drop any "FT_" and possibly the object
name (as in "FT_Outline_"), so it would be

face->Set_Size(...);
face->Load_Glyph(...);

and

outline->Decompose(...);

But what you propose seems nice, too. Except: I'd *really* like for the C++
wrapper and the Python wrapper to be consistent amongst each other... Right
now I'm tempted to do what you propose, which in Python would look like

face.setSize(...)
face.loadGlyph(...)
outline->decompose(...)

However, it may be an advantage to stay closer to the C API, so users can
more easily find their ways around by simple using the existing
documentation.

Questions questions...

I'm writing a script that parses the FT2 headers and spits out the C source
for the Python interface. Maybe it can be expanded to generate the C++ API
as well (if it ever works in the first place...).

Just