Re: some more issues with the new API

From: Just van Rossum
Subject: Re: some more issues with the new API
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 11:13:48 +0100

At 10:51 AM +0100 16-03-2000, David Turner wrote:
>Well, the question is really to know how we define a "glyph" for a high-level
>C++ or Python wrapper. I don't think it needs to be defined in FreeType 2,
[ ... ]

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive: it should be possible to make
FT2 more OO, while retaining the level of convenience and efficiency. The
advantages of such a redesign are:
- Clearer semantics -- this benefits C coders, too!
- Better ways to create OO wrappers -- this has mostly to do with automatic
deallocation, which is *very* hard to do correctly with the current FT2 API.

Maybe, just for the heck of it, I'll write up an FT3 API proposal...

Just