Re: Bug in FreeType 2.0 ????

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: Bug in FreeType 2.0 ????
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 18:35:19 +0100

Art Dikov wrote:

> I use your library FreeType 2.0  (08.02.2000 release)
<snip>
> 1) I can not display correctly some fonts and in its program and your
> test View.c Given font enclose;attach to the letter. Can this mistake?

[ I did not test it with Freetype 2, but with v. 1.x. Don't know if there
  is a problem with v.2 here. ]

> Letters (English text) are display , but not in that order!

You would say, the order is very strange, isn't it?

I believe this comes from the font itself: the order you see is the order the
glyphs are stored in the font, which probably maps the order the glyphs
where in fact designed.
This order does not matter at all for the regular use of the font, because
you should first convert character codes to glyphs codes (something view does
not do).

> 2) As I can choose a coding? for the russian font for instance, but not
> UniCode!

You would not be able to use Unicode with this font anyway, since it does
not have a proper Unicode table!

This font have been modified by ALLTYPE, and it is encoded for proper use by
non-Russian Windows 3.1 or similar, which means that the Cyrillic characters
are remapped according to the Windows 1251 encoding into the places used
for "normal" 1252 characters.
This kind of hack was in use 5-8 years ago, but they are actually more evil
than useful, because now more OSes understand correctly Unicode and uses it
correctly. The only way to use this kind of fonts is to feed them with
Windows1251-encoded text, but pretending it Windows1252 encoded. Ugly.

A better way to deal with them may be to revert to proper Unicode encoding,
but I do not know of tools that do that (Juliusz? Pavel? Michal? Mark?).
I believe there are sites in Russian that may be useful (I would start with
<http://nagual.pp.ru/~ache/koi8.html>. I have also a bookmark to
<http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Paul_Gorodyansky/cyr_www.htm>
which is very detailled about this topic).

Hope this helps,

Antoine

P.S. : the 'post' Postscript table of your font is *completely* brocken.