Re: Antialiasing glitch in 2.0 beta?

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: Antialiasing glitch in 2.0 beta?
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 14:02:49 +0100

Hi Henrik,

> > PS: There are other artifacts that we know of too..
>
> Such as many serifs dropping above the baseline in serifed fonts? I just
> remembered that I should ask about this too. That's really a more serious
> issue than the previous one, as it makes serif fonts practically unusable as
> it is now. No big deal on this end, though.

Do you have an actual example of this behaviour. The only similar example
I can give is with Georgia. The capital "D" shows that the overshoot are not
correctly snapped to the pixel grid at 12 pts (with ftview for example).

However, this doesn't come from the anti-aliased renderer, but from the
TrueType glyph program associated to that glyph. In many fonts, the hinting
program for a glyph is computed to enhance the monochrome bitmap, not the
anti-aliased one.

Hopefully, this kind of artefact will be solved by the auto-hinter (it
already is with Georgia, though there are other "features" I don't want
to talk about ;-)..

- David