Re: Antialiasing glitch in 2.0 beta?

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: Antialiasing glitch in 2.0 beta?
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 16:05:17 +0100

Hi Enrik,

> >> Such as many serifs dropping above the baseline in serifed fonts? I just
> >> remembered that I should ask about this too. That's really a more serious
> >> issue than the previous one, as it makes serif fonts practically unusable
> >> as
> >> it is now. No big deal on this end, though.
> >>
> > Do you have an actual example of this behaviour. The only similar example
> > I can give is with Georgia. The capital "D" shows that the overshoot are not
> > correctly snapped to the pixel grid at 12 pts (with ftview for example).
>
> I've marked a few spots in the attachment. What you wrote gave me a clue:
> the drops occur in fonts that I've converted to ttf from postscript fonts
> with Fontographer. That would explain the problem. It didn't happen with
> "original", nonconverted Windows ttfs that I tried.

Actually, it seems that the problem lies in the way your converted fonts are
hinted. Most of the time, automatic hinting tools try to optimise the
monochrome rendering of glyphs.. and the result can be very surprising
when using a fine anti-aliasing algorithm..

> I haven't yet tried to make the postscript support work.
>
> Is there some kind of timeframe for FT2, eg. the new hinting engine, so that
> I would know when it would be a good time to make a new version that uses
> the newer stuff?

Expect a release at the end of May / start of June :-)

- David