Re: wanted: font archive

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: wanted: font archive
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 12:17:45 -0700 (MST)

    Optimally, such an archive should be erected on ftp.gnu.org so that
    the fonts are mirrored worldwide -- some fonts need an enormous amount
    of space (e.g. the 4 Arphic fonts need 32MByte uncompressed).

We would be willing to redistribute free fonts.

    I've already asked FSF to mirror some GPL'ed CJK fonts a longer time
    ago (even twice!), but I got no response.

If the license is really the GPL, then we can do this.

    My point is completely practical: I found a number of ttf files
    shipping with various open source distributions and I want to
    set up an archive for the berlin project which contains at least
    a couple of fonts people can download to use with berlin.
    Unfortunately, not a single of the font files I found comes with
    information about it's copyright.

(I think you mean the license, not the copyright.)

These fonts are a problem situation, because no one can
tell whether they are free or not.  Perhaps they have owners
that will eventually make us stop using them; who can tell?

It would be useful to track down the origin of these fonts,
and ask their developers about their status.
Would you like to do that?

Then free software developers (and "open-source" developers also ;-)
would know there is no problem in using these fonts.