RE: wanted: font archive

From: Alistair Vining
Subject: RE: wanted: font archive
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 14:25:32 -0000

> I just reread the Arphic license.  It has imperfections, but I don't
> think any of them causes a serious problem.

Sure.  I just wanted to highlight some of the issues involved with a "Free"
font license.

> It was a bad decision to use this requirement for LaTeX,
> and there is no reason to use it here.  Licenses should not impose
> legal requirements for mere quality.  Users can insist on quality
> by choosing which programs (or fonts) to use and which not to use.

Hmmm.  It was also the requirement for the original TeX which has achieved
unparalleled levels of interoperability.  Users can choose the fonts *they*
use, but not those that other people require.  But I don't imagine arphic
have been flooded with patches anyway ;)

There's a set of (serif) roman, greek, cyrillic, hebrew, arabic, armenian
(&c.) PostScript fonts that come with Yannis Haralambous' Omega project.
Does anyone know the license for those?

( al )