bug report and troubles linking

From: Nathan Hurst
Subject: bug report and troubles linking
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 13:04:20 +1000 (EST)

Hi,
  I'm working on putting the freetype2 engine into gnome-canvas.  I've
just been working through the ft2 code and testing the demos.  Something
I've noticed is that with ftstring at particular (seemingly) arbitrary
angles letters drop out.  It seems to be a hinting problem, except that it
only surfaces when _not_ hinting.

  The easiest way to show what I mean would be to download
http://hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au/~njh/halvar.ttf
display it with the ftstring demo, and rotate to an angle of 88 degrees
and turn hinting on and off.  The s following 'jump' disappears and
reappears.

  Secondly, I'm having a bit of trouble getting the build environment
right.  I've copied the libfreetype.a file into my project dir, copied the
include dir into ~/include/freetype2, modified the headers to point to the
correct files and linked with

address@hidden canvas]$ make
gcc -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib  -L/home/njh/lib -L../qoca -lesd -lICE
-lSM -ldb -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXi -lXext -lX11
-lm  -lgnome -lgnomesupport -lgnomeui -lart_lgpl -lgdk_pixbuf
-lgnomecanvaspixbuf  libfreetype.a ./canvas3.o -o canvas3
./canvas3.o: In function `main':
./canvas3.o(.text+0x2a): undefined reference to `FT_Init_Freetype'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [canvas3] Error 1

I'm not 100% up on the use of static libraries, but this should work?  The
code compiles without hitch.

njh