Re: bug report and troubles linking

From: Nathan Hurst
Subject: Re: bug report and troubles linking
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 18:57:13 +1000 (EST)

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, David Turner wrote:

> Hi Nathan,

Ob Hi David!

> Yes, this is a known problem, and comes from a bug in the standard
> scan-converter which, apparently, is unable to render certain rotated
> glyphs.

uhuh.

> You can switch to use the "smooth" scan-converter using the "g" key, and
> you'll see that the glyphs are all hinted (and renderer) properly. The fact
> that these artefact only happen during hinting is probably coincidental..

yes, you're right, I managed to break a font with the hinter on too :-)

> The "standard" scan-converter will probably be ditched in a near future.
> Actually, I'm currently looking for another bug that seems to prevent
> vertical drop-out detection at small pixel size too..
>
> The smooth renderer will become the default for anti-aliased rendering.
> Note that it was recently completed this week and that you should try to
> download the latest version through CVS, ViewCVS or one of our mirrors..

Yes, for gnome canvas the new renderer makes a lot more sense.  Is it
still believed that rendering directly to the canvas is bad?  Would it be
possible to store a set of the spans some how(I did this a couple of years
back in a windowing system project where we kept regions as a set of
packed spans)?  That structure could easily be faster than copying an
image for each rendered glyph?

> >   Secondly, I'm having a bit of trouble getting the build environment
> > right.  I've copied the libfreetype.a file into my project dir, copied the
> > include dir into ~/include/freetype2, modified the headers to point to the
> > correct files and linked with
>
> FT_Init_FreeType is defined in "src/base/ftinit.c" which should normally
> compile as "obj/ftinit.o", during a normal build this file should be added
> the libfreetype.a.

omesupport -lgnomeui -lart_lgpl -lgdk_pixbuf -lgnomecanvaspixbuf
libfreetype.a ./canvas3.o -o canvas3 ~/freetype2-tarball/obj/ftinit.o
gcc: ~/freetype2-tarball/obj/ftinit.o: No such file or directory

but

address@hidden canvas]$ ls -l ~/freetype2-tarball/obj/ftinit.o
-rw-r--r--   1 njh      postg       20756 Apr  7 10:08
/home/njh/freetype2-tarball/obj/ftinit.o

It gets weirder every minute :-)

> Can you check that this function is correctly there (use a utility like
> 'nm' to list the symbols of the library) ?

address@hidden canvas]$ nm libfreetype.a | grep FT_Init
00000000 T FT_Init_FreeType
00003a9c T FT_Init_Extensions
address@hidden canvas]$

Now if my understanding is correct, this means that it is defined, and is
the first routine in one of the relocatable blocks.

njh