[Devel] FIXED: Problems with oblique fonts

From: Tom Kacvinsky
Subject: [Devel] FIXED: Problems with oblique fonts
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 18:07:25 -0500 (EST)

Attached is patch that fixes the problems with oblique fonts and the autohinter.
As far as I can tell, the problem lies with the computation of hinting globals.
The reason why is that when the autohinting glyph loader is called for the first
time (with the first glyph in a string, as Keith pointed out), the global hints
are calculated, and that throws off the first glyph.  When the second glyph is
loaded, the global hints are already in place (so they are not calculated), and
everything is peachy.

My simplistic solution was to immediately call the hinting glyph loader after
returning from the global hints calculation routine(s).  The only time this
will happen is when the global hints are not already in calculated.

I also fixed a "problem" where the glyph transform was applied before the call
to ah_hinter_load.

Anyway, I would appreciate it if David could go over this patch and make sure it
is OK.  I wills ay that it fixes the problems I was having with ftstring, and it
works with all of the Type 1 fonts I have...

Question:

David, why is the transformation matrix inverted before the transformation takes
place?

Regards,

Tom