[Devel] Developer questions on FreeType2

From: Chris Foster
Subject: [Devel] Developer questions on FreeType2
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 10:53:57 -0500

All,

I am working on an embedded project for which we are exploring several options for a font rendered.  FreeType1 and FreeType2 are our primary consideration at the moment that we are going to take through a proof a concept procedure.

We have a couple of questions though that will help us determine which FreeType is right for us.

1.  Heard rumors that FreeType2 is slower than FreeType1.  Is this true.  If so is it due to the bytecode interpreter that is turned of in FreeType2 due to patent issues and replaced by the 'auto-hinter'?

2.  We have a major concern for using Asian fonts.  We of course do not want to store the large number of Asian fonts on our small embedded environment with true type Asian fonts.  Does FreeType2 support any type of stroke based font rendering?

Thanks,
Chris Foster
Software Engineer

Livewire, Inc.