Re: [Devel] Developer questions on FreeType2

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] Developer questions on FreeType2
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 00:26:22 +0100

Chris Foster wrote:

All,
I am working on an embedded project for which we are exploring several options for a font rendered. FreeType1 and FreeType2 are our primary consideration at the moment that we are going to take through a proof a concept procedure. We have a couple of questions though that will help us determine which FreeType is right for us. 1. Heard rumors that FreeType2 is slower than FreeType1. Is this true. If so is it due to the bytecode interpreter that is turned of in FreeType2 due to patent issues and replaced by the 'auto-hinter'?

Rumors ??

FT2 is faster than FT1 when performing native TrueType hinting.
The automatic hinter is probably a tad slower, but not by an order of magnitude.

Meanwhile, any decent library that needs to render text extensively will need a cache that will completely mask these differences in common patterns. FT2 comes with a cache sub-system that has been highly tuned
for performance.

2. We have a major concern for using Asian fonts. We of course do not want to store the large number of Asian fonts on our small embedded environment with true type Asian fonts. Does FreeType2 support any type of stroke based font rendering?

This is not yet supported in FT2, though it may come in the future. I won't comment further on this topic though.

Regards,

- David Turner