Re: [ft-devel] Severe rendering bug

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Severe rendering bug
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 14:52:48 +0100 (CET)

[Tested with 2.25]

> I have encountered a severe rendering bug when rendering DejaVu Sans
> Book capital R at certain aspect ratios using freetype 2.4.x. It's
> very obvious for height 64 and width 256. See the attached image.

This is a bug in the hinting instructions of DejaVu for this glyph.
The setup of the projection vector for the affected IP instructions is
bad.  I suggest that you make a bug report.

The attached images illustrate the hinting problem at 64x64, 64x128,
and 64x196 pixels, respectively.

Note that FreeType might probably be able to provide better rendering
results as soon as (some of) Infinality's ClearType patches are
applied.

    Werner

PNG image

PNG image