Re: [ft-devel] New Infinality Release

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] New Infinality Release
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 08:16:54 +0100 (CET)

> So, I've applied the updated patch you provided.

OK.

> The adjusted opcode sequences for the spacing functions broke Segoe
> UI Semibold (maybe others too), but I agree that what you did looks
> correct for those.

I'm not completely sure whether the bytecode sequences are correct.
For example, Greg sometimes writes

  #PUSH[], 1

instead of the expected

  #PUSH 1

This might indicate that the command is actually using

  NPUSHB 0x01 0x01

instead of

  PUSHB_1 0x01    ,

or even

  NPUSHW 0x01 0x00 0x01    ,

but the latter is rather unlikely, so this needs more investigation
and pattern searching in real fonts.  If you provide me a script or
whatever to do such a search, I can use my collection of old fonts as
a testbed to search for hits.

BTW, what do you think of replacing SPH_DEBUG with FT_TRACE7(( ... ))
to get those information with

  FT2_DEBUG=ttinterp:7 ftview ...         ?

In case you are not acquainted with FreeType's tracing mechanism, have
a look into docs/DEBUG.

> This, along with the point you mentioned above about not being able
> to detect the pushed value, makes me think that this piece needs
> more work before it gets pushed out to a release.  I do want to keep
> one or two of them in there however.  I will trim down the code to
> patterns known to be OK, and push off work on the others until after
> the release.

Thanks!