Re: [ft-devel] Autohinter: stem darkening, first rough prototype

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Autohinter: stem darkening, first rough prototype
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 11:12:37 +0200

Question: I see the extra weight is applied only to the right hand side
of the vstems. Is this because of the way the emboldening function
works? Have you noticed any issues with the sub-pixel translation that
this causes? (I don't think so, and they are unhinted anyway)

How did you see that? I'm currently using 300,250,250 because the default parameters seemed unbalanced but I still think *something* is off. I have no idea though if this has to with the emboldening function or my mind playing tricks on me. I also noticed that without subpixel rendering, glyphs look a tad smudgy. That may be relevant for distros that refuse to ship subpixel rendering by default.