Re: [ft-devel] Autohinter: stem darkening, first rough prototype

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Autohinter: stem darkening, first rough prototype
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 02:24:39 +0200

I was going to write a long mail and moan about how complicated FreeType is and how my stem darkening just wasn't pleasing to look at.

Then I fiddled around some to prove a point and suddenly LOOK AT THIS:

http://postimg.org/image/el0egghrl/full (no emboldening)
http://postimg.org/image/jbkphgh6p/full (emboldening)

http://postimg.org/image/yyd7ck41b/full (no emboldening)
http://postimg.org/image/65np7mx6t/full (emboldening)

(all screenshots with gamma correction)

Now THIS is it! This is exactly the high-quality, smooth darkened glyph I always wished for. The nice thing: this makes glyphs look much better even without gamma correction. And, it solves an annoying problem the autohinter had with certain typefaces like Open Sans, Droid Serif and Droid Sans:

http://postimg.org/image/gaa1iu5x3/
http://postimg.org/image/7tf4lnqlz/

Open Sans, note the "i". The autohinter has long been at war with the dot on the "i" at certain sizes, emboldening brings peace.

I spotted a few minor glitches already, will test more.

And all I did was to move the emboldening code to before any hints are applied and apply emboldening also on the Y axis. I'll get myself a bigger dunce cap.