Re: [ft-devel] C89 vs C99

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] C89 vs C99
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 17:58:37 +0200 (CEST)

> APIs would be kept to use C89-compatible types, but C99-only types
> are used in internal part?

Yes.  No API changes.

> Some people may want to see the types like int32_t, int16_t...

For the API you mean?  Certainly, but this would be FreeType 3...

> And, I'm afraid some legacy platforms in builds lack C99-savvy
> compilers.  They should be dropped?

Probably yes.  C99 is 15 years old...  However, I favor the autoconf
style of testing features (e.g., for the presence of a `long long'
type), so a compiler doesn't necessarily need to support full C99, but
only a (rather small) subset.