Re: [ft-devel] C89 vs C99

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] C89 vs C99
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 19:12:33 +0200 (CEST)

> Maybe I should consider the possibility to extend FreeType building
> system to support C99-to-C89 convertor.

Perhaps a misunderstanding: I don't intend to suddenly use arbitrary
C99 stuff.  Such a converter is certainly not needed.

> Could you tell more about the advantages of C99 for FreeType, or,
> the disadvantage to keep C89?

The probably most important advantage would be native support of `long
long', which is a post-C89 feature.  To suppress the corresponding
warnings while doing `make devel', I think we could then add
`-std=c99' to the gcc compiler options (while retaining `-ansi' and
`-pedantic').