Re: [ft-devel] Clean-up of af_loader_load_glyph()

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Clean-up of af_loader_load_glyph()
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2016 12:28:03 +0100 (CET)

>>> Aren't these conceptually incompatible with the autohinter method
>>> of snapping outer edges to the grid to achieve sharpness?
>>
>> I don't think so, cf. the `warping' code in the auto-hinter.
>
> So this support would only be relevant for warping?

No.  It's not related.  I just want to point you to the warper that
does try to micro-optimize the horizontal positioning of a glyph.

> Come to think of it, hinting glyphs (native or autohinter) always
> rounds advance widths to integer pixels iirc.

Yes.

> Wouldn't that need to change, too, for fractional advance widths?

Correct.  It would be possible to adapt and re-use the warper code for
non-integer positioning.  Whether this is useful, beautiful, fast
enough, etc., etc., is another issue.