Re: [ft-devel] Clean-up of af_loader_load_glyph()

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Clean-up of af_loader_load_glyph()
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2016 06:52:27 +0100 (CET)

>> [...] we are talking about the possibility to shift glyphs by a
>> call to `FT_Set_Transform', where the shift value is in the range
>> [0;1] (or rather [-0.5;0.5]), and this call takes place *before*
>> hinting, which is not possible current.
>
> Rotation forfeits hinting, but you suggest that shifts would not.

Yes, the auto-hinter could be extended to cover this case.  On the
other hand, today we have a tendency to avoid hinting along the
x axis, so we are probably talking about a hypothetical issue.  Please
remember that the origin of the whole discussion is an innocent but
rather cryptic comment in the source code, and what to do with it.

> Therefore the advance, rounded or not, is not sufficient to control
> spacing.

It would be sufficient, since the hypothetical `fractional hinting' is
`strong' hinting, which modifies the advance width also so that...

> You need the bearing deltas anyway.

... you don't need deltas at all, AFAICS.