Re: [ft-devel] freetype and harfbuzz

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] freetype and harfbuzz
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 08:38:58 +0100 (CET)

> I would like to know the status freetype wrt harfbuzz. Actually, if
> I'm not mistaken, one has to :
>
> 1) compile freetype without harfbuzz
> 2) compile harfbuzz (freetype is hard dep iirc)
> 3) compile freetype with harfbuzz

Yes.  However, FreeType looks for its dependencies, so you only have
to do

  cd freetype; make && make install; cd
  cd harfbuzz; make && make install; cd
  cd freetype; make && make install; cd

which is not rocket science.

> Is there some improvements of that situation? (It has been a long
> time since i followed freetype development)

No.  It seems that people can live with the current situation.  A
`solution' would either mean splitting harfbuzz into two separate
libraries or duplicating a lot of harfbuzz code in FreeType.