Re: [ft-devel] gasp table support

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] gasp table support
Date: Sat, 20 May 2017 17:10:17 +0200

> This is exactly the question.  Basically, using the `gasp' table is
> diametral to the FreeType API, where you select a mode how *all*
> fonts, regardless of their formats, should look like.  For example,
> if you select `smooth' rendering, it can be surprising if you
> suddenly get B/W rendering for some fonts at certain sizes.

I guess that's the price you pay for using the native hinter with its'
baked in history of Windows development. Another issue is that the gasp
table is programmed for a Windows environment and might yield
suboptimal results everywhere else. Remember how I was trying to make
the native hinter put out something that looked 'smooth' so I could add
the hinter to LIGHT mode?

You can limit support to the gridfit flags for starters (or switch to
autohinting for no-gridfir glyphs), that will always output
symmetrically smoothed grayscale glyphs like for all other scalable
formats ;)

> What about a TrueType driver property that switches `gasp' table
> handling on and off, with the default set to off?

That might work.