Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC] Extending the CF2 interpreter

From: Dave Arnold
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC] Extending the CF2 interpreter
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 14:21:25 -0700

Adobe has produced several Open Source CFF fonts that should be useful for testing. Consider:

Western sans, serif and monospaced CFF:

Pan CJK gothic and mincho (CID-based CFF):

Prototype CFF2 variable:

When Adobe first developed CFF, they did convert their Type 1 library to CFF and did extensive round-trip testing for compatibility. In the end, Adobe decided not to risk releasing the converted fonts with the same names, but instead produced new CFF fonts with names including "Std" and "Pro" designations. The conversion code is available in the tool "tx", which is part of the Adobe Font Development Kit for OpenType. While I am not aware of any open source Type 1 fonts from Adobe, I'd suggest looking into converting some CFF fonts to Type 1 for testing.

-Dave