Re: [ft-devel] Curb the scaling

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Curb the scaling
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 22:12:13 -0400

>> I am hesitating with the ppem-limiting patch.  It turns out that the
>> fuzzer requests just 20 ppem, yet it overflows.  So the glyphs
>> spread far beyond the EM and FT_Face->bbox too.
>
> As mentioned earlier, there is no chance to ever catch cumulative
> values without actively comparing against a maximum value.  And such a
> comparison is more expensive that using ADD_LONG and friends.

Largely, it comes down to taste. I love the vector algebra of
rendering and want to preserve the algebraic look in the C code. These
macros shred it to pieces and make it ugly. I am glad that so far the
rendering code was spared. That is my honest opinion. I said it
before, these macros do not fix the overflows, they only silence the
fuzzer.