Re: [ft-devel] merged CFF and Type1 hinting code now in master

From: Dave Arnold
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] merged CFF and Type1 hinting code now in master
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 08:31:15 -0800

Hi Werner & Nikolaus,

I should back off and leave this a theoretical argument. The synthetic hint example I gave doesn't really fit as well as I was thinking (and may not be as useful for your purpose).

Synthetic hints are based on the concept of Ideographic Character Face (ICF). The code consults blue zones as part of a heuristic to determine the ICF, but it does not directly use the zone values to calculate the hint position. The synthetic hints affect the hintmap calculation and interact with the  charstring hints, if any, to improve "optical alignment" in CJK text.

I did find some internal Adobe documents from 2010 that describe synthetic hints in more detail, if you are interested. But, as I said, this may not be useful in the context of the current autohinting discussion.

Thanks.

-Dave