Re: [ft-devel] Updates to Docwriter: Logging, testing, linting

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Updates to Docwriter: Logging, testing, linting
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 20:45:10 +0200 (CEST)

> There is no harm in everything looking the same; on the contrary,
> new people familiar with other codebases can contribute more easily
> because stuff looks the same — and since it’s automated, no PR ever
> gets round-tripped because of some formatting nitpick.

This is a very simplistic approach that doesn't fit all situations
IMHO.

> In fact, I can’t think of a concrete reason why a codebase should be
> allowed to look different from other codebases.

So tell me why Python itself allows a consistent but arbitrary number
of spaces as indentation?

> The dictator in this case is really PEP 8, black is just its
> henchman.  This approach is quite pythonic.

In PEP 8, value 4 for indentation is like the parallel postulate: it
is completely isolated from all other recommendations...

Given that PEP 8 recommends a line length of 79 characters, it would
be easier to obey this limitation if indentation is small.

Whatever :-)