Re: [ft-devel] GSoC status update.

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] GSoC status update.
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 11:54:46 +0200 (CEST)

>> Please tell me why you wasn't able to identify the problem by
>> yourself!
>

> Actually, I thought that these services are not a regular part of
> the module and are defined only if there are functions of the driver
> required outside the driver, so I did not define them.

Ah, ok.

> But, I was unaware that the services are used by the demo program.

It doesn't directly use a service since services are always internal
to FreeType.  Instead, it uses a high-level API function that
delegates all of its work to a service.

> As I was first debugging with `ftview' and I was going function by
> function to debug it and I was stuck at the `FTC' functions.  Then
> when you told to debug through `ftstring', I thought to do it later
> as I was in middle of learning about the `vf' fonts.

BTW, `ftview' crashes in *exactly* the same way...  And I was wrong
since my memory failed me: `ftstring' also uses some caching code,
provided by routines in `ftcommon.c'.