Re: [ft-devel] Integrating Docwriter into FreeType

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Integrating Docwriter into FreeType
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 07:32:54 +0200 (CEST)

>>> In that case, how about punting on the issue entirely and instead
>>> publishing docwriter on PyPI and letting people pip it from there?
>>> You just test for its availability in PATH and tell people what to
>>> do to get it otherwise.  Then you have full control over whether
>>> you want to install it globally, in your user dir or in a venv.

Actually, this is quite an elegant solution IMHO.

>> The problem would be fixing bugs with docwriter.  Because nobody
>> usually does a pip --upgrade, it will be very hard for a new
>> version of docwriter to reach people.

I don't think this is a problem in general, provided there are links
in the documentation how to fix bugs and upload a new release in case
you are not available.

> Well, I do, and the primary user would be Werner, no?

Yep.  What makes me hesitate to accept this as an optimal solution is
the fact that the only user of this PyPI package would be FreeType.
On the other hand, I see that there are currently more than 147000
projects on pypi.org, making my concert irrelevant, I guess.