Re: [ft-devel] color framework

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] color framework
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 12:11:40 -0500

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 11:55 AM Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

>> > As long as you don't break cairo and Chrome, I don't care what
>> > you do.
>
> [...] and annoyed that you change things without caring about
> breaking things.

???  What do we break?  COLR/CPAL support will be *new* in 2.10.0, it
wasn't present in the 2.9.x series.  We don't plan to drop the
FT_PIXEL_MODE_RGBA mode that you've added for CBDT/CBLC/sbix support.

As long as adding FT_LOAD_COLOR will get COLR/CPAL glyphs rendered into the bitmap, cairo/Chrome will work fine and I have no problem with that.

That said, my hunch is that the proposed change breaks glyphs with consecutive overlapping layers of same color, as the proposed change will render them in same go, mixing their winding numbers.

Also, I was specifically referring to Alexei's work, which from where I seat, often looks like "optimize math in X", "optimize math in Y", many times without testing the code involved.

I should not be called obnoxious for demanding that code that is changed be tested.  Or rather, code that is not tested not be changed.

Proper response to a bug report, even a single-line one, should be "thank you".

I should also not be attacked when I ask that changes not break existing clients.

behdad
http://behdad.org/