[Freetype] more info on the Mac Type1 FOND issue - weird style suffix ta

From: Paul Miller
Subject: [Freetype] more info on the Mac Type1 FOND issue - weird style suffix tables
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 16:34:21 -0500

It seems I'm the only one using FreeType on a Mac. I did some more digging, and found a one-character mistake in the current style name code (this is in all versions of ftmac.c):

(line 315 of ftmac.c from 2.1.4)

         for ( i = 1; i < suffixes[0]; i++ )

should be:

          for ( i = 1; i <= suffixes[0]; i++ )

Since suffices[0] is a COUNT and references as index starting at 1, you need to include the count itself.

This makes a lot of Type 1 font files work!

But, there is still a problem with the style name tables - now the code seems right but I've got some fonts which just don't seem to have the correct tables.

For example, I have a Type 1 font, "Conques" which has two faces, Book and Demi.

There are 2 font files included:
        ConquBoo
        ConquDem

But the suffix table only contains an entry for '-' and 'Book' - no "Demi" to be found.

This is getting completely outside of my area of understanding - does anyone know why the suffix table does not have all of the suffixes for the font?

The same problem exists for another font I have, "Conduit ITC", which has suffix entries for Medium and Italic, but not for Bold and Light, which are other fonts there.

Anyone know what's going on here?

--
Paul Miller | address@hidden |                 Got Tivo?
VP of Engineering, Profound Effects, Inc. | www.profoundeffects.com