[Freetype] how to

From: Vincent Torri
Subject: [Freetype] how to
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:01:24 +0100 (CET)

hello,

we would like to achive a special effect for drawing text on an image: we
want to make a "halo" around the characters, that is a thin white line
around black characters (for example)

So we would like to know if there is a way to make the characters "wider",
that is, the lines that define the characters being wider. For exemple,
the *outline* of the letter 'u':

  ||  ||
  ||  ||
   ____
   ----

would become
   -    -
  | |  | |
  | |  | |
  | ____ |
  | ____ |

(it's not really like a bold font) and we want to draw a white line around
the letter.

So we would like to know if there is a way to do such thing (just making
the character wider, or better, doing this halo :)), using operations on
the outlines (like translation, dilations, etc...).

The main problem would be that some points in the definition ofthe outline
would dissapear, of course.

Thank you

Vincent TORRI