Re: [ft] Testing new LCD rendering mode

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [ft] Testing new LCD rendering mode
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 19:51:46 +0200

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 20:02:33 +0300, "Ismail Donmez" <address@hidden> said:
> 04 Eki 2006 Çar 19:52 tarihinde, Ismail Donmez &#351;unlar&#305;
> yazm&#305;&#351;t&#305;:
> > 04 Eki 2006 Çar 19:45 tarihinde &#351;unlar&#305;
> > yazm&#305;&#351;t&#305;n&#305;z:
> > > Did you enable the bytecode interpreter in FreeType for the second
> > > example ? It doesn't seem so.
> >
> > Freetype library did not change between tests ( I am actually just
> > installing old libXft testing, installing new libXft testing ), so I don't
> > think thats the problem but I agree it just looks like that indeed.

They're clearly different, look at the shapes of the 2 or 6, especially the
horizontal stems in these glyphs.

I think I understand now. I forgot to mention that you should enable
"medium" or "full" hinting in your fonts preference dialog. That's
because "light" hinting will now always invoke the auto-hinter (with the
exception of fonts which require the unpatented hinter to load properly,
e.g. MingLiU).

I believe it should remove the difference you see. If not, send more
screenshots :-)

Regards,

- David Turner