Re: [ft] font size error

From: Dave Calkins
Subject: Re: [ft] font size error
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 08:29:57 -0500

DPI is a feature of the monitor (how many pixels per inch). My guess is that because most computer monitors (at the time winxp and win2000 were made) were 96 dpi, by default windows is usually set to 96 dpi.

You can query this information using the windows api:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd464660%28VS.85%29.aspx#getting_system_information

Good luck,
    Mickey

Thanks! I checked and, sure enough, on my system I am getting 96 dpi for the screen device LOGPIXELSX/Y.

I'm still confused, though, as to why some fonts work fine and others don't. Granted, I'm using FreeTypeGL which is in turn using FreeType, however, it seems to initialize that 72 by default and I'm not specifying the dpi for any fonts I use. So I guess one option would be to query for the dpi and specify that when creating the fonts. It just seems like there's something font specific not system specific since it doesn't fail for other fonts using the same inputs.