[ft] FT_Get_Char_Index() always returns 0

From: Andreas Falkenhahn
Subject: [ft] FT_Get_Char_Index() always returns 0
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2017 19:53:47 +0200

I have a very old TTF font for which FT_Get_Char_Index() always seems to
return 0. The font is called SymbolProp BT (symbpron.ttf) and it's from
January 1993.

It contains Greek characters but when trying to get such a character
using FT_Get_Char_Index() from it, it just returns 0. For example, I've
tried to get the Greek character delta in upper-case notation by doing
the following:

   FT_UInt glyph_index = FT_Get_Char_Index(face, 0x394);

But it just returns 0! With other fonts I can get the delta character
just fine and Greek text works perfectly but it doesn't work with
SymbolProp BT.

What could be the reason for this?

I've also tried to call FT_Select_Charmap(FT_ENCODING_UNICODE) on the
font but it didn't change anything so I'm somewhat out of ideas here.

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                          mailto:address@hidden