fsfc-discuss

[fsfc-discuss] After some thought

From: David Henry
Subject: [fsfc-discuss] After some thought
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:58:04 -0500

Hey all,
After getting over the huge hump of work I had, I gave things a bit of
thought and figured out where I'd like to put effort over the next
year....

1. *Not* into the creation of a charitable status group or foundation.
While I still think it is important to do so at some point, two major
considerations weighed heavily against working on this:  It is a
long-term project (at least three year commitment), and I have enough of
those for the time being; I don't think the public is aware enough of
the merits of Free Software -- which means fundraising will be very
uphill (and it is almost all fundraising for years).  I might rethink
this next January, but that's it for now.

2. Mostly promoting Free Software.  I'm doing this anyway.  I can
contribute a reasonable amount of what free time I have to doing a bit
more of it.

3. Fighting against anything that limits user freedoms.  I haven't been
doing anything much in this area (other than keeping up with the usual
FSF and etc., campaigns), and plan to put a good chunk of time into
discovering the Canadian context over this next month.  What that means
is simply catching up on reading and hopefully, identifying some clearly
winnable issues.  Any pointers (Canadian issues, thanks!) would be
appreciated.

I'll prolly be quite quiet until having finished reviewing CRTC
decisions and (ugh!) the relevant legislation.  I may also go blind
reading all that stuff, and be unable to find the keyboard.

Pt yu[r ;olr yjod/

[That's "Or type like this.", one key off...]

Meanwhile, I finally have time to enjoy the outdoors and am heading that
way....

All the good things,
David Henry