RE: [Fsfe-uk] An ignorant question?

From: Robert \(Jamie\) Munro
Subject: RE: [Fsfe-uk] An ignorant question?
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 11:55:27 +0100

Saying that SVG files animated using javascript is a replacement for flash
is missing the point entirely. Unless the person has a lot of spare time on
their hands, how are they supposed to make the SVG file, and animate it?
They don't want a programming environment that can do animations (you may as
well tell them to write their animations in C). They want to make
animations.

It's like when I say "I need a database front end to replace access" and
people tell me to use MySQL. MySQL is useless as a replacement to access. It
does a tiny subset of the functions of Access - storing and retrieving data
in tables (and it does it arguably less well - no sub selects etc.). When
people need a replacement for Access, they need a front end.

Of all people, Microsoft used to have a program called LiquidMotion that
produced animated web pages in Java and Javascript that would run on a
variety of browsers, without the need for a plugin like flash. A free
software program like this, possibly based on adding animation features to
sodipodi would be great.

Robert Munro