Re: [Fsfe-uk] An ignorant question?

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] An ignorant question?
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:07:48 +0100

Hi Martin,

> Then made a direct comparison with installing Knoppix to hard-disk?
> (boot from CD; Ctl-Alt-Fn to a command-line tty, and run
> /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall).

The Knoppix CD won't boot on this relatively recent system that's
already running Red Hat.  Something to do with SYSLINUX or ISOLINUX or
something to do with multiple boot images on a single CD?  I forget
what.  That means I need to prepare a boot floppy so I haven't bothered
trying Knoppix yet;  just that one extra step will put off some people
who have little time to spare.

Overall, I agree Knoppix is a great idea.  But if it's sold to people as
`Here, boot from this CD and you'll see how good Linux is' then they may
look unfavourably on Linux when it doesn't boot on their system, yet
other CDs do.

Cheers,

Ralph.