Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bill Gates to get a knighthood?

From: ian
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bill Gates to get a knighthood?
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:58:48 +0000

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 18:10, Simon Waters wrote:
> MJ Ray wrote:
> > On 2004-01-25 21:33:09 +0000 Philip Hunt <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> While it could be argued that this doesn't matter, because a
> >> knighthood is merely a symbolic title, I feel it is important
> >> because people will tend to think of Gates in an undeservedly good light,
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > I doubt that. Every time a computer is crashed by his firm's software,
> > the opposite seems to happen.
>
> Rarely though do people do anything about it, like change to a system
> that doesn't crash as often (or doesn't crash at all).
>
> > Please play the ball, not the man.
>
> Much as I'm not keen on the business practices of Microsoft, Bill the
> man has given a lot of money (yes real money, not just computer
> software) to charities, many of whom work to improve the lot of the
> worlds' poorest inhabitants.

Maybe the poorer people in the world would benefit more by not having to
pay the equivalent of 4 years salary MS Windows and MS Office in order
to take part in the technological World. If you all allow me to
establish a monopoly that rips you all off for 50 billion, I promise to
give a couple of billion to good causes and you don't have to give me a
gong ;-)

> In that sense I think he deserves a
> Knighthood, just not for 'services to global enterprise'.

Hm, chucking a few crumbs off the table for us forelock tugging serfs? I
hear MS as a corporation pays no tax, no wonder they can afford to be
generous.

> One might use the honours system to promote our own political goals -
> however most of those I know involved in the politics of free software
> might turn it down as an outdated relic of empire.

I think I'd accept an honour on behalf of the free software movement.
Most people involved deserve it as to them the proportion of their
disposable resources that they put into it is a lot bigger than BGs
charitable gifts relative to their own wealth.

> Perhaps we should check which of the luminaries of the movement think a
> Knighthood would be fun - it then becomes a story to hang material onto
> - and I'm sure the Palace would be grateful of nominations that aren't
> likely to be turned down.

Alan Cox is the obvious one, but an honorary knighthood for Linus would
IMHO be more appropriate than BG. He has given away his IP for the good
of the world and its arguably long term more important than Windows in
including disadvantaged people in the use of technology.

Regards,
--
ian <address@hidden>