[Fsfe-uk] Free Software & The ICT Hub

From: auto380184
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Free Software & The ICT Hub
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 23:03:07 +0100

Hi,

I wanted to raise an advocacy issue that's been bothering me for a
while.  It concerns The ICT Hub, a coalition of several large UK
organisations that received very significant funding last year
(from the Home Office) to promote ICT within UK Voluntary and
Community Organisations (VCOs).

The ICT Hub seems likely to become a very significant source of
advice for the 'Third Sector', and will probably be perceived with
some authority.  They will also be reaching out to organisations
that have no previous experience of computing.

Their targeted audience is one I'd most expect to appreciate Free
Software, so I was hoping the ICT Hub would promote it.  However,
from the outset (when they started publishing documents and
questionnaires in MSWord format) they have shown very little
appreciation of the issues.  To get some idea of how confused some
of them are, just see the bewildering conclusion of this excerpt:

"[...] Word doesn't let me open (or at least not automatically)
something which has been saved in Open Office. I'm all for open
standards, but if someone is sending me documents which I know 95%
of my fellow users can't open unless they install some open source
software, how is that any more open?"
http://www.icthub.org.uk/cms/opencms/icthub/articles/Open_Source.htm

They mention 'open source' a few other times on their website, but
sometimes they seem to be encouraging fear and doubt.  Occasionally
they say things that are just wacky:

"Open Source software is written using less powerful computers,
which don’t need to be upgraded as often as they promote and adhere
to common standards and formats."
http://www.icthub.org.uk/cms/opencms/icthub/how_we_can_help/opensour
ce_02.html

Only in their separate 'knowledgebase', which seems to be managed
independently by lasa.org.uk, are some better written articles, but
considering the previous (mis)guidance and criticism, which is more
prominently placed on the main ICT Hub site, I'm not sure people
will read this far.
http://www.icthubknowledgebase.org.uk/linuxrealworld

With their current stance, I think the ICT Hub could be detering
community-minded organisations from adopting or even investigating
Free Software!  So, I think we should do something.

Perhaps we could start by writing to The ICT Hub, to politely ask
them to correct the most inaccurate/moronic/derisive statements on
their website, to acknowledge that Free Software has broader social
implications, and to provide open-format alternatives to the many
Word documents they offer for download.  Fortunately, the current
ICT Hub website was only launched this month.  Before that the site
was hideous and inaccessible, so very few people have probably read
it.  At this early stage we may be able to convince them to revise
their content on 'open source' before much damage is done.

If you are interested, please can you help me to critique their
site, and write a persuasive letter to them?  First I think we need
to find their most fallacious and objectionable statements.  We can
also collect good examples of self-contradictions in their content,
to show how confusing their advice can be.

Best wishes,
Huxley

Concerned about your privacy? Instantly send FREE secure email, no account
required
http://www.hushmail.com/send?l=480

https://www.hushssl.com?l=485