Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free Software & The ICT Hub

From: Paul Mobbs
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free Software & The ICT Hub
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 03:34:58 +0100

On Saturday 22 July 2006 23:03, address@hidden wrote:
> I wanted to raise an advocacy issue that's been bothering me for a
> while.  It concerns The ICT Hub, a coalition of several large UK
> organisations that received very significant funding last year
> (from the Home Office) to promote ICT within UK Voluntary and
> Community Organisations (VCOs).

If you've ever tried to work with groups such as NCVO you soon realise that
these people are less than revolutionary. My experience working in/with
community education and community groups and having to liaise with NCVO and
the like is that much of the effort these organisations put into development
work reinforces the current model of how the NGO sector works: It's all about
management and lobbying within "the system", not questioning the basis of how
our society works with its citizens.

P.

(Edward Burroughs, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/ebo/book.html

tel./fax (+44/0)1295 261864
email - address@hidden
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mobbsey/index.html