Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC trial of embedded Flash video

From: David M
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC trial of embedded Flash video
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 14:24:35 +0100

On Sunday 20 May 2007, Dave Crossland wrote:

> For sure - That EULA is notoriously evil:
>
> "The Adobe EULA for Flash forbids anyone who has installed their
> Flash tools or plugin from working on Flash technologies. This has
> had a chilling effect on the development of free Flash players, [..]"
> - http://gnash.lulu.com/?q=node/30

Yuk, that is pretty evil, and I was completely unaware of it. :-(

I've been running Ubuntu since not long after the start, and I don't
recall this major restriction ever being flagged up to me when
installing Flash. Perhaps I was asked to read the EULA (umm, ok, I
obviously didn't) and then hit <enter> to continue, on the initial
install, but I'm fairly sure that subsequent upgrades on system
upgrades happened automatically. If Adobe have recently snuck some
particular evil into the EULA, perhaps Linux distros should alert users
to this more prominently, especially if it will be particularly
problematic for developers?

However, notwithstanding discussing the good or evil of Flash on this
list, given that the BBC *is* asking for comment on the video player,
perhaps the best thing is for those who are more knowledgeable about
these issues than myself to feedback to the BBC in the hope that they
can have some influence on what the BBC's final decision is.

David M. -- Edinburgh, Scotland. -- [en,fr,(de) <-- corrections welcome]
* Please interleave reply text and trim quotes not needed for context.
* On-list replies preferred. Please don't cc: list messages to me.