g-wrap-dev

Re: First changeset (build system)

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: First changeset (build system)
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 13:19:45 +0100

Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:

>> For the sake of allowing me keeping the arch --cvstrunk branch up to
>> date, it would be very good for me to have commit rights on the
>> g-wrap CVS. I will promise of course to discuss every change here
>> first, as outlined above.
>
> Definitely appreciated, though for the moment, I'd like to handle the
> commits.  I'm not opposed to changing that later, I just want to
> handle them myself in the main branch for a bit.

OK.

>> The show-changeset output attached doesn't include added files, only
>> diffs against existing ones. You can grab a full copy of my branch
>> with TLA, though:
>
> Hmm, I started to ask if you might be able to just produce more
> complete patches using "tla mkpatch" or "diff -ruN old new", but maybe
> this is a good time for me to poke around with arch.
>
> I'll try that.

OK, so maybe we can shift the just the commit task to you; if that's
ok with you. I think the best way would be for you to set up an arch
repository containing a CVS checkout like outlined in my previous
mail, that way you could merge in changes from my tree yourself and
commit them (or use tla-cvs-sync to simplify that). Hmm, I think this
should work somehow like this:

tla archive-setup g-wrap--cvstrunk--0.1
tla tag address@hidden/g-wrap--cvstrunk--0.1 g-wrap--cvstrunk
tla get g-wrap--cvstrunk

Now you have branched my cvstrunk archive and have a checkout in
g-wrap--cvstrunk. What's missing is the CVS bits; you can rsync them
from a CVS checkout (yeah, hacky, but works):

rsync --dry-run -a -v --include "*/" --include "CVS" --include "CVS/*"
--include "**/CVS/*" --include ".cvsignore" --exclude "*" g-wrap-CVS-checkout
g-wrap--cvstrunk

Try the above and remove the --dry-run when you've confirmed it only
copies the right files.

Now you've set up an environment where you can conviniently retrieve
my patches and commit them to CVS, maybe after modification.

See what I have in my archive:

$ tla revisions -s address@hidden/g-wrap--rotty--0.1
base-0
    tag of address@hidden/g-wrap--cvstrunk--0.1--base-0
patch-1
    Build system fixes
patch-2
    Added autogen.sh
patch-3
    Misc fixes (-rpath, g-wrap/Makefile.am, VPATH)

$ tla revisions -s address@hidden/g-wrap--rotty--0.2
base-0
    tag of address@hidden/g-wrap--rotty--0.1--patch-3
patch-1
    Add runtime library, ffi support
patch-2
    GLib fix/cosmetics
patch-3
    Implemented dynamic types

Note the tag and the duplicate output (masked with '...'
above). Please use patch-{1,2,3} from --0.1 and the rest from --0.2 (I
managed to mess my 0.1 repository up in with --patch-4).

So a full merge would be simply achieved by star-merge. Best use a
separate checkout for the merge, so you can't mess your cvstrunk
"master" up:

tla get g-wrap--cvstrunk--0.1 g-wrap-MERGE
cd g-wrap-MERGE
tla star-merge address@hidden/g-wrap--rotty--0.2

You can also use replay to apply the patches separatly:

tla replay address@hidden/g-wrap--rotty--0.1--patch-1
tla replay address@hidden/g-wrap--rotty--0.1--patch-2

The above of course will only modify your working copy; you can commit
your changes to your --cvstrunk branch and then commit them to CVS:

tla commit -s "Merged from rotty"
cd ../g-wrap--cvstrunk
tla missing # see that there is a patch missing in this working copy
tla replay # update working copy
tla-cvs-sync # from tla-tools; or commit to CVS "by hand"

Hope you can get something out of the above.

Regards, Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden      | address@hidden | address@hidden
http://www.8ung.at/rotty | GnuPG Key: http://www.8ung.at/rotty/gpg.asc

This reality is really just a fucked-up dream -- Papa Roach