gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Reminder: FOSDEM 2012 – cal l for devroom talks

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Reminder: FOSDEM 2012 – cal l for devroom talks
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 21:36:34 +0100

Hi
On 01/06/12 15:29, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
Before starting a new thread on each app, let me summarize here:

I can present nearly anything that is on GAP, since most of it is in the
OpenBSD ports tree, but not maybe showing all features, since not yet released.
I could also install everything gnustep core from SVN, and GAP CVS, to show
latest features.
I guess the second approach would be even better, but I should start soon
installing and testing, I don't want to show a lot of crashers, and other
strange bugs ;)
Well, for some apps it is jsut enough to show a couple of slides/screenshots and show they are there. Short talks that stimulate interest are good already.
So I could concentrate on:
  * BatMon (unfortunately my Libretto is too unstable for a presentation, and
my other notebook doesn't have a recent enough BIOS, so ACPI is not enabled,
and BatMon only shows a few numbers, not all it could show)
  * PRICE
  * Graphos
  * GSPdf
  * DataBasin
  * LaternaMagica
  * Grr/RSSKit
  * AClock and TimeMon
  * Mention the Games available there
Sounds good.
  I don't know anything about the state of FlexiSheet and Bean, is it showable?
well, FlexiSheet starts up and for a quick demo ti should work. I Need to check how it behaves lately. It is an unfinished application on the Mac, the sources of which were released before actual commercial release. It has undergone a bit of porting effort already. It needs two things: be completed.. and be ported. But it is a Quantrix-like spreadsheet, so something really worth and very "Open-step"

I'll start a new thread on each, If someone thinks I missed sth. important,
please start other threads for the missing applications.

I could also speak about other applications which are interesting, and I have
in the OpenBSD ports tree:
* GWorkspace
* CDPlayer
* Burn (not yet in the ports tree, but works fine on OpenBSD, its also waiting
for a new gnustep core release)
* FisicaLab
* AddressManager
* SimpleAgenda
* Affiche
* SystemPreferences
* Zipper
Lots of stuff...but some screenshots and names to show that they exist might spark interest. Perhaps you can leave Zipper and Affiche out.
AddressManager and SimpleAgenda should play together.

Add to that that in theory GAP shout migrate to be a full GNU project. Stallman asked for that and there are no problems and we agreed, but the migration is stuck since the past 2 years or so :)
Ah, OK, I wasn't aware of that one.
Yes... also, there is no need to sign anything to be a gnu project, at least that's the way I understand it. ANyway, right now it is stuck so I woudlnt' speak for or against it.

Ric