gap-dev-discuss

[Gap-dev-discuss] MPDCon hosted on GAP?

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: [Gap-dev-discuss] MPDCon hosted on GAP?
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 14:34:53 +0100

Hi,

while on the train to the FOSDEM, I figured, MPDCon breaks on startup, with
recent -base, -gui releases.
On the train back, I got that fixed, but found a couple of other annoying bugs.
Therefore I had to change the
.gorm files a bit. Since they are binary, I cannot easily put patches to them
into the OpenBSD ports tree.

Since its GPLv2, I thought, it can be hosted in GAP. Looking closer onto the
code, I found libmpdclient.[h|m]
in the sources too, which are BSD licensed :(
Looking at the actual versions of libmpdclient, I found that it has a totally
different API. So I spent the whole
week to get the MPDController.m from MPDCon updated to use the new API.

The most notably changes/enhancements I did are:
 * update to use the new API of libmpdclient, and link against external library
instead of linking it into the application
 * old version made a complete reconnect on each attempt to connect the MPD
server, now it reuses just a single connection
 * define and use some sane default values for the mpdHost, mpdPort and
mpdTimeout (mpdTimeout is a new configuration variable added to the
PreferencesController)
 * Change the default background color of the Player window from black to some
grey (black was bad, since the fonts on it also were black ;)
 * fixed a couple of nits in the other .gorm interfaces.
 * bumped the Version to 1.2

For me, it now works much better than before already.

I tried to contact the original author, but not no avail yet. The last release,
1.1.99, is about six years old already, so I guess
there is probably noone listening on those e-mail addresses. Don't know, I
still have some hope, but not much anymore.

Having a working version downloadable, that would help me as a packager, and
probably also other packages for other OS/Distros.

Are there any objections against giving it a new home on GAP?
I'd take care about MPDCon on GAP, importing it to CVS, creating/maintaining
homepage and so on.
I also have some ideas about new features already ;)

cheers,
Sebastian