gap-dev-discuss

[Gap-dev-discuss] Zipper state

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: [Gap-dev-discuss] Zipper state
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 10:01:31 +0100

Hi,

I have found Zipper's state to be quite Abysmal. I checked the tar and zip handling for now.

Zip handling mostly works if the standard unzip is used. NetBSD uses an unzip which does not support -qq. Minor problem. Date parsing did not work. I fixed it on my box. But I fear that this has impacts on other computers? The parse strings were wrong.

Tar handling
GNU-tar : mostly worked, but date parsing was bad
bsd-tar: On NetBSD no archive could be opened, crashes exceptions. I fixed it. BSD tar has two date formats if the year is current or not. Also, there is a trailing line at the end.

It works for me now. But how was and is the state on OpenBSD? NetBSD? and other systems like Solaris?

A lot needs to be done and checked I fear... the code was/is quite fragile.

Riccardo