gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Happy!; ILISP+GCL; Building GCL

From: Chris Hall
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Happy!; ILISP+GCL; Building GCL
Date: 15 Apr 2004 08:09:35 -1000

I am soooo happy!  I finally got GCL working under ILISP. :-D

I had been unable to do this since I started using GCL - no evals from
another buffer, etc.  Seems like ILISP couldn't find any of the
symbols it had exported from its package.

*Lots* of time fiddling, looking at ILISP .el and .lisp files,
discovering that case is preserved in the string passed to
'find-symbol' and thus needs to be uppercase in order to work,
searching the web, etc.

(BTW, how do I access the current value of READTABLE-CASE in GCL?  For
the life of me I can't figure out how.  I assume it is :upcase, since
that is what SBCL, CLISP and CMUCL each show.)

Then, when I logged into a friend's FreeBSD box - he used PORTS and
got version 2.5.3 - and set things up in Emacs, the environment, etc.,
everything worked great.  Hmmm.  So I checked *features*, and sure
enough, my box's GCL didn't have :ANSI-CL, though his did.
(list-all-packages) output was quite different between the machines,
as well.

Apparently the 2.5 version from Debian stable is non-ANSI, and it
seems that when I built 2.6.0cvs - which I did a few times - somehow I
installed a non-ANSI build.  ./configure --enable-ansi && make && make
install did the trick - and I am now on 2.6.1-36 :-).  Since the
--enable-ansi appears to be non-default, maybe that is why Debian had
this issue, too?

So I'm guessing that in order for GCL to work with ILISP, it has to be
an ANSI-enabled GCL?

For the sometimes-ANSI-sometimes-CLtL1 stuff to work (via the GCL_ANSI
environment variable), am I correct in thinking that after 'make
install' I need to manually copy the non-ANSI saved_gcl to
$PREFIX/lib/unixport/?  Is there anything else I need to or should
copy, before I rm the build directories?

As for source-level debugging - which I understand relies on GDB? -
I'm guessing that I need to --enable-debug at build-time, too?  (It
nearly doubles the size of saved_ansi_gcl!)

Does GCL load an init file, a la .cmucl-init.lisp?  I couldn't seem to
find any mention in the info files.

I think that I'm also having problems with another 'accessor' for a
'System class' in addition to READTABLE-CASE (thats what they are
called in gcl.info) - LOGICAL-PATHNAME-TRANSLATIONS.

When trying to load CLOCC's clocc.lisp (needed to bootstrap their
stuff), here is what happens:
;-----------------------------------------------------
>*default-pathname-defaults*
#p"/home/username/lisp/clocc/"

>(load "clocc.lisp")

Error in SETF [or a callee]: Cannot expand the SETF form
      (LOGICAL-PATHNAME-TRANSLATIONS "clocc").

Fast links are on: do (use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Broken at SYSTEM::SETF-HELPER.  Type :H for Help.
 1 (Continue) Retry loading file "clocc.lisp".
 2 (Abort) Return to top level.
dbl:>>
;-----------------------------------------------------

Here is the form:

I also tried with
(setf (si::logical-pathname-translations "clocc")

*clocc-root* was set to "/home/username/lisp/clocc/"

;-----------------------------------------------------
(setf (logical-pathname-translations "clocc")
  `(("src;defsystem;*"
     ,(concatenate 'string *clocc-root* "src/defsystem-3.x/*"))
    ("src;defsystem;*.*"

     ,(concatenate 'string *clocc-root* "src/defsystem-3.x/*.*"))

    ("src;defsystem-3-x;*"
     ,(concatenate 'string *clocc-root* "src/defsystem-3.x/*"))
    ("src;defsystem-3-x;*.*"
     ,(concatenate 'string *clocc-root* "src/defsystem-3.x/*.*"))
     ("**;*" ,(concatenate 'string *clocc-root* "**/*"))
    ("**;*.*" ,(concatenate 'string *clocc-root* "**/*.*"))))
(Are they doing macro-y things here?)

Wow!  Longer than I meant it to be.  Sorry.

Aloha and Mahalo,
+Chris

--
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad
judgment.