gdb-discuss

Re: [Gdbheads] Proposed poll on proposals

From: Michael Snyder
Subject: Re: [Gdbheads] Proposed poll on proposals
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 14:59:15 -0800

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

Here are the proposals, in the order in which I found them by reading
the discussions with a threaded e-mail reader:

1) Global maintainers are permitted to approve patches to any part of
   gdb, even parts which have a specific area maintainer.

Yes.

2) If maintainers disagree on a patch, and can not resolve the
   disagreement by discussion, the disagreement may be resolved by a
   vote of all global maintainers and relevant area maintainers.

Weak yes.  I'm OK with this, not particularly attached to it.

3) Assign more area maintainers to areas for which patches are not
   being reviewed fast enough.

It's a volunteer job, we can't throw it at someone.
More area maintainers would be great, but it's not a solution.

4) Track patches using an automated system; permit global maintainers
   to approve a patch if the relevant area maintainers have not acted
   for N days, for some value of N.

No.

5) Create an ombudsman for gdb, who is responsible for listening to
   people's reports of problems, and then resolving them first through
   the global maintainers, and then, if that fails, through the
   steering committee.

It's OK with me, but it doesn't solve the same problem as (1).
It's more a solution to the meta-problem of how-did-we-get-here.

6) Reconstitute the steering committee to make it more active and to
   make it better reflect the gdb community.  Include people from the
   gcc and binutils projects.  Perhaps do not include current gdb
   maintainers, to permit more objectivity.

No.  I don't mind if this happens, but it won't satisfy me as a solution.