Re: [Getfem-users] C++11 in Getfem

From: Andriy Andreykiv
Subject: Re: [Getfem-users] C++11 in Getfem
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 12:08:18 +0100

Dear Kostas and Getfem users,

At our company we build Getfem on Windows with Intel C++ as well as MSVS 2012 C++
and on Linux with GCC 4.81. As far as I know Clang supports 11th standard too.
These are major C++ compilers (correct me if I"m wrong) and all of them
happily support major C++11 features.

What you, Kostas, are proposing, about conditional compilation of 11th features, sure possible, but
is really a big burden to maintain, at least for our side. Imagine if I use Lambda's and auto's and then
I have to conditionally provide code for the case C++11 is not enabled, then I have to sometimes
re-design several functions. If I have to do that, then I have no reasons to use 11th features at all.
I do use conditional compilation now and then, during implementation of multithreaded assembly.
It, sure, makes sense for performance reasons, but C++11 is always available and not such a reason.

Given the above I would propose to Getfem community to have 11th standard enforced by default,
and allow code that compiles only with C++11 on. Please tell me what you think about this.

Best regards,
                      Andriy