Re: [Ghm-discuss] GHM in review

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] GHM in review
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 23:35:49 +0930

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 14:50:08 +0200
Andy Wingo <address@hidden> wrote:

> Greetings, GHM attendees!
>
> Hope all are well, and safely back to the hack.
>
> Before really getting back into the groove though, perhaps we should
> reflect a bit about what was great about the GHM, and what could use
> improvement. Finally we should start thinking about where the next one
> should be.
>
> This message is going to ghm-discuss, with all attendees on Bcc, so if
> you reply directly, your message will go to the public list. If you
> have feedback that you want to be private, you can reply directly to
> me if you like.
>
> So! Questions:
>
>   1. What was great about the meeting? Name one or two of your
> favorite things.

Having Jelmer fix my bzr-svn bugs while i wandered around talking to
people :p
In all seriousness, hanging out with the people there and getting to
meet people who were previously irc handles.

>   2. What could have been better? Again, one or two things, along with
>      suggestions for improvements if you have them.

we needed more room/better layout for the keysigning.

>   3. Was there anything missing from the meeting? Or, alternately, was
>      there some part of the meeting we could have done without?
>
>   4. What about focus -- did we have a good focus? Too broad, too
>      narrow?
>
>   5. What about the size? Do you want the GHM to be bigger in the
>      future? How would you feel if there were 100 people there?

Probably depends what those 100 people were doing - if they were gnu
hackers/people of a similar vein then it would be fab. If they walked
in off the street (or walked around telling us about open source) i
think i could pass...

>   6. What about colocation? Did this influence your decision to
> attend? Was it a good thing or a bad thing?

Coloing helped me justify travelling that distance. I have a policy of
not spending more time in transit then i will spend at a location :)

>   7. Any other comments?

I liked the length - 4-5 days worked out nicely. (even if some people
piked. )

> Finally, we need someone to organize the next meeting. It can be
> anywhere in Europe, but getting a supportive venue is key. Of course
> it helps if the location is easy to get to, and cheap. Interested?

Pick somewhere good and I can try to come along again \o/
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au