Re: [glob2-devel] re: should turrets attack air

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] re: should turrets attack air
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 18:06:09 +0200

>> Instead of hard coding what an level 2 upgrade will be and
>> how much it will cost, we should only provide possibilities.
>
> no. i want the player to always know that a building that looks like a
> pool is what he got used to be a pool. yesterday i realized in mid air
> that the nexuiz server i just joined had no grabbling hook. that's ok.
> it is one of three switches (hook, ff, ??). but to allow the designer to
> change building params is too complex to provide a consistent game
> experience.

Balancing issues belong to the map designer level.
There should be no reason why someone must know c++ for this!!!
Apart from giving more people a chance to create glob2, I think
there are users out there who can do this better then we can.
Also: "highly configurable" really sounds good in program descriptions.

We could ensure a constant game experience by giving standards which
maps must resemble to become official.  And if other maps feel better
than our official ones we can adapt our standards.

>> Well another idea:
>> We could use different building characteristics for race customization.
>
> that's something different. but still i wouldn't give more than 3
> modifications to the default settings per race.

Well, this is a matter of taste.
Here is mine:
What I really hate about rts is that you improve far too much by
playing.  It's all about playing out old tricks that you know worked
before.  Therefore put in as many modification as we can.
Maybe some random effects like natural disasters too.

Creating a game were experienced players are not much better than
newbies, but smarter players rule, would be a nice aim.

I read somewhere that glob2 should be playable even after a few month
of pause, at the same level you had before.

The game atmosphere may stay constant, but the individual games should
always be a challenge.  No matter how often you play.

--
Kai Antweiler